Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What I say when I talk to myself

I think talking to yourself is a valuable tool.  It's something you can do to love and support yourself.  But I have to remember to keep it realistic.  I'm not going to cheerlead myself into anything that isn't genuinely possible.  When I keep it real with myself, it becomes an empowering affirmation.  And I see it's power, and the power, conversely, of negative self-talk.  It's something I have to be mindful of at all times.  Maybe some of that negative talk got me to this place to begin with.


So, I do a validity check on that negative stuff - is it true?  Is it true all the time?  No?  So I  give myself a little self-love.  "Maybe you aren't where you want to be today, but you are getting there.  This is hard, but just keep trying.  Give yourself some credit for what you can do and how far you have already come."  Yada yada.  I don't care if it all sounds canned.  It works better for me than general statements like "Everything will be fine.  Life is unicorns and rainbows.  You'll do fine."  That's so general and not even realistic.  Will things be hard sometimes?  Yes, but I will figure out a plan to manage.  Will there be days I feel like I can't do this?  Yes, but I will take a deep breath and continue on.  No one ever made a promise to me that this would be easy.  If they had, I would feel so gypped right now.  Instead, I feel like there's a every possibility things will work out.  So I can keep that in mind while I talk to myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment