Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Sorry, not sorry

 Four years ago my daughter vowed she would get a dog when she graduated from college. 
At the time I remember I advised her to be out on her own for awhile and make sure that was what she wanted.  She would need a yard, or at least a place to walk said doggie.  Time to spend playing with it.  Money to afford taking care of it.  Its a commitment, not just something to play with every now and then -  but I think she knew that.

 Thanksgiving 2011

Fast forward to last September, and she got herself a dog.  A very nice rescue border collie.  Meek and loving, he fills a need in her.  And, I'm sure she feels like, in her Big Girl World, she should be able to make all of her own decisions, including getting herself a dog.  I support that.  But I'm still going to give her advice and try to steer her away from some of the mistakes I made - after all, I am on her side.  Because would I love for her to have a PERSON in her life, too?  Well, yes.  But, a second dog?  Not so much.




But since every day is apparently Opposite Day in her world, she decided a second dog was just the ticket, and plunged headlong into a hasty decision.  This time it went wrong.  And I am sad for her.  But not sorry.  She was angry with me, and Mark counseled me for being frank and honest with her about it.  I thought she wasn't really thinking a second dog through, considering where she lives and how many hours she works. And I thought that driving from Houston to DFW to pick up a dog she had never spent time with, nor introduced her other dog to, was a mistake.  She blew me off, then complained to her dad.  Then it went to hell in a handbag, like I feared. 



Do I still have to say I was sorry, even if I was dead on target?  I do feel sad for her bad experience. Did she say "I'm sorry I shit on your good advice which I flat out refused to take"?  Um, no.  If she thinks that makes it less likely that I will voice my opinions in the future, no matter how unpopular they are, she is mistaken.  If I'm sorry for anything, it's that I was unable to convince her to reconsider it from the get-go.  But I guess it's how some people learn Life Lessons. 
Seems like it shouldn't have to be so hard, though. 


No comments:

Post a Comment