Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Introverting

I've never been one of those people who are the life of the party.  I was never considered "popular" and I am 100% OK with that.  Most days, I feel like I do a good job with being sociable and friendly.  I try to look people in the eye and smile, but truth be told, it's not my goal to be everyone's friend.  I'm often struck by how friendly my mother can be to complete strangers.  I don't ever remember her being that way when we were all growing up.  Most days she would lament about running away from us all, or wishing she were in Spain. 


I love to spend time alone, I really do.  I find myself to be adequate company.  I can sit quietly and work on things that are meaningful to me, without hearing the roar of the TV or music in the background, or the sound of the alarm system beeping every time someone goes in or out of the house.  It's even more delightful if I leave my hearing aids out for the day.  Rainy day + no one home = wonderful.  I don't even necessarily think that's weird or wrong.  I think everyone needs a day like that now and again.  Maybe it helps you appreciate people in your life even more.


1 comment:

  1. Gina, do you consider yourself an Introvert? Some of the things you speak of, sound so much like me and several other Introverts I know. We don't consider ourselves to be lonely, but we do enjoy being alone ~ it is when we can recharge our batteries, so to speak. This is a good article from Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/galit-breen/6-things-introverted-women-do-right_b_5321699.html
    It is interesting! Lots of interesting bits on Pinterest if you search "introverts", also. It is just a thought.
    I was a Trainer for a health insurance company before I retired. I never thought of myself as an introvert because I spoke in front of large groups of people, attended many many meetings, and was always on the go. But, I also felt drained so much of the time. I have explored this since I retired, and have come to understand myself so much more.
    This is just a suggestion, but I could hear something in your voice in this post, and thought I would comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete