Thursday, March 9, 2017

No good deed shall go unbitched about

Recently an attack of "niceness" came over me.  I'm recovered now, but for a while there it was touch and go...
You know how a well-known photo gift company likes to send out freebies?  Well, they do.  About half the time I get the offer on a Sunday and am at work, so I don't have time to put photos together for it.  Or, I will think "oh, I should order that for so-and-so", but I don't have the address with me, so I don't order it before it expires.  After all, I don't want to have to pay for postage twice.  But a couple of weeks ago, I happened to get a code for 2 free 8x10 prints, and since a relative of mine remarked how she loved Dylan's work, AND I had her mailing address with me, I ordered her two prints.  I didn't even tell her I had done it, wanting it to be a fun surprise.  Because it's fun to do nice things.
Well, that backfired...email received:


Subject: Thanks
For the photos you sent me.  It is just a shame they are so dark, can’t make out much in them.  And Dylan’s name is cut in half. I’m sure the originals were very nice, but Photo Company does not produce a quality print.  Don’t know that I’d use them in the future.  How about emailing me the digital and I’ll make my own copies.  Thanks!
Love, Relative


Why does this make me feel bratty?  I mean, it's not like it's worded in a nasty way or anything.  It's not like Dylan's art is being called into question.  It's not even like that person is insulting me personally with my choice of giftie surprise.  I guess it's just the whole idea of doing something fun and unexpected for someone and instead of them just saying thanks and leaving it at that, it has to be critiqued.  The thought behind the gift is not being called into question, and I have zero control over the way the photo company prints.  But, my goodness.  The only person out time, effort, and $4 for shipping is me.  I wasn't looking for thanks and praise.  I only wanted to do a nice thing.


And no way am I going to email my son's professional work without his permission.  For all I know he may have wanted to charge for it. I shouldn't have printed them in the first place, I guess.  


No comments:

Post a Comment