Sunday, October 22, 2017

Verti-go-go

I was toodling along IH35 at highway speed when it started.  That feeling came over me, like an aura, then all at once everything jerked to one side.


I felt a little panicky, not gonna lie.  I knew exactly what was happening.  I griped the steering wheel and stiffened up, gritting my teeth and repeating over and over out loud  "No.  Not right now."


I started talking to myself like I was an observer of myself..."Put your hazard lights on.  Slow your speed.  Get over to the right as soon as you can, very carefully.  Pull into the first driveway to the right.".  I missed a couple of driveways, but once I felt like I was going slow enough, I found one and pulled into a shady spot.


Then I called work and told them I would be late...didn't know how late, but I was very close by and would call when I got there.  What else could I do?  I sat there at least an hour.  Pretty much trapped in the car.  I opened the sunroof for air and leaned back in the seat.  Trying to breathe deep and not cry.  Hoping no one would come along and tell me to get out of the parking lot.


And gradually the world stopped spinning, and I made my way in to the hospital about 5 minutes away.  A little foggy headed still.  But alive.  And with resolve to do those damn habituation and head and eye exercises DAILY.  Not to mention see and ENT and see what is going on.



No comments:

Post a Comment