Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Panic gardening

All summer long I have wanted to get the yard in shape.  All summer long I harped on Hubby to please get the sprinkler system working so our grass would stop dying.  All summer long I planned to thin out the lariope in the front beds.  To paint the front door.  To powerwash the bricks and steps.  To GET SHIT DONE.  But it was always too hot.  Or we had limited time.  Or I was on call.  Or we had weekend plans at Highlands.  Loads of excuses. Finally, the sprinkler system was repaired and turned on.  Too little too late, of course - our yard practically died.  And one day when I got home from work (on a Tuesday...WHY) I found that Hubby had gone ahead and gotten started on removing the shrubs in the front in advance of me planting anew.

OMG.  It looks like crap.

The rain has been unceasing on the weekends, which is the only time I have to work on this.  There is mud everywhere.  There is topsoil washing down the driveway from the lawn, which is now mostly dirt with some scragglers of grass here and there.  The acorns are dropping so we also have crushed acorns everywhere.  Plus, he left the stumps so there is that task to attend to before I can:
*Finish removing all the lariope
*Rake the beds of leaves and excess mulch
*Till the beds and prep for new plants
*Re-mulch
*Powerwash and paint
*Care for the lawn, or what is left of it
I feel a little panicky about it because it looks so awful.  Walking up to my house every evening I feel like crying.  It's like an abandoned house.  If it ever stops raining, I will work on it for one full weekend just to catch up.  Day off be damned.



No comments:

Post a Comment