Tuesday, April 7, 2020

My first job.

My first job, at age 15, was at a Baskin-Robbins in Galveston, Texas.  {my older sister, Maggie, worked at a different BR in Galveston for a short time, and I thought it sounded like a fun job.  She used to bring us home whatever we wanted!} Digging around in my photos, I realized I didn't have any pictures of this, but here's what I looked like at that age:


My hair was always long, no matter how hot it got in the summer!
Galveston in the 70's was a fun place - lots for teenagers to get in trouble with.  The beach was where we mostly hung out - riding bikes along the seawall, eating at Jack In The Box or Whataburger or Taco Bell, and working on our tans.  But having a job meant my summer free time was fairly well occupied.  In addition, I had some financial responsibility (and freedom) as my dollar or two weekly allowance wasn't cutting it.  My hourly pay was something like $1.50 an hour, and most of it went to things like clothes, albums, and my cafeteria lunch card at school.  My mother abruptly stopped giving me allowance at that point, anyway.  I met other teenagers, got my first boyfriend, and ate all the ice cream I could.  To this day I remember the feel of the hot metal ice cream scoop in my hands and the smell of the deep freeze.  My favorite flavors were Jamoca Almond Fudge and Pralines and Cream.  I'm not sure I learned any valuable life lessons there, but it was fun.  And I guess it kept me out of trouble for a time...


No comments:

Post a Comment