Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The morning Hands Off

I'll be the first to admit that it's hard to stop doting on your kids.  You want them to be self-sufficient, but you also want them to be fed and clothed and cared for.  It's a balancing game that you shift little by little with each passing year, until they are taking care of themselves and can make their own way in the world.  Which is not to say that you can't be there for them when they need you.  Because, duh, you're the parent.  Even so, you wait for them to ask for help - you don't just swoop in and rescue.  Or, rather, you shouldn't.


This summer I have been letting Gray get himself up in the mornings, make his own lunch, get his water jug filled, etc.  This is in stark contrast to last summer when I babied him through band camp mornings.  The problem with doing too much for him is that he doesn't have to bother to remember things, stick to a schedule, and manage his affairs.  What I thought was helpful wasn't really helpful.  Hence this summer being drastically different.  So this summer, I am free to drink my coffee, sit on my rear, and let baby bird learn to fly.  Hands off.



No comments:

Post a Comment