Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Venting about work events, Part Two

 And here continueth my delightful story:

A full TEN weeks after interviews for the Lead position, the boss pulls me aside for a meeting. {You're not in trouble, Gina...} Whereupon he:
1.  Talked at great length about how he thinks that he does not need a 4 year degree unless someone can show him the benefit of having something other than a piece of paper to frame and hang on the wall.  He doesn't feel the need to use 'big words' - he realizes that half his staff have 4 year degrees, but so what.

2.  Told me my communication skills needed help because I co-shouldered the blame for an exam  that went awry while I was OFF one day but knew about the day before.  I had emailed my co-worker and apologized for leaving her holding the bag, then stated what he wanted us to do in future.  His complaint was that I should have 'moved on' from the initial problem and only focused on the solution. 

3. Asked me where I saw myself in ten years, 5 years, 3..."what would you do, Gina, to sell yourself to Dallas Children's Hospital? I want people who want me to hire them be HUNGRY for it."


******
So here are my responses to all of the above:
     You know what?  Regarding my degree?  Fuck yourself.  I put myself through college with loans, VA benefits, part-time work, help from my single working mother, and scholarships.  I graduated with a decent GPA and I used that degree to help further me along in more than a couple areas of life.  I have earned the right to be proud of myself.   Because of my 'fancy high dollar' college degree I don't have a problem with the wording of information I pass on in emails or other communications.  And if vocabulary like "willingness" or "investigated" or "availability" in an email poses a problem for you, maybe you should get an education.


     Secondly,  I didn't apply for a position in Dallas, I applied for one here.  I'm fairly certain that Dallas came up in the convo because you had an applicant from there.  I don't need to sell myself to you as a professional because I AM one.  I don't have a problem with tardies or attendance, I keep my certifications and CEU's up to date, I have a good working relationship with the doctors, nurses, and other techs, I have served on several hospital committees, I mentor students, preceptor new employees, and in general, KNOW MY SHIT.  I don't come to work to make excuses or pick fights with people, behave rude or unprofessionally, nor dress like I just rolled out of bed.  I accept the blame for my mistakes, try to foster friendships with people I work with, don't take more time than alloted for lunch, and attend departmental meetings.  Why would you want me to beg for a job that I am already tasked with doing? So you can make a decision about whether or not to give the Dallas person a job?  Go ahead.  I will stay in my staff role and go on working hard with a clear conscience. I have worked above and beyond to help fill a hole in the schedule that YOU have allowed to widen as the weeks go by.  I have worked as a team player, pulling my weight as well as answering the phones and dealing with problems and issues.  I resent your attempt to undermine my confidence and spirit.  FOR WHAT? A dollar and a half extra per hour?  That is laughable.
No Thanks.


Gosh.  I feel so much better without that job hanging over my head.  And now, as my mother would say, I'm going to go on living my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment