Thursday, April 28, 2022

Capable

Somebody recently told me that their brother was having a hard time getting a job.  After all, he's old.  And no one wants to hire someone in their sixties since they're just going to retire soon afterwards.
HE'S  65.

I'm 61, and will be 62 this year.

Every day I think to myself:  I'm strong, I'm smart, and most importantly, I'm capable.
I can lug heavy equipment.  Lift things and small humans.  Stand for a looong time with a lead apron on (though sitting now and again is a good idea).  I get up every day and accomplish more before I leave the house than most men, married men, can even conceive of doing.  I know this, because I was married to such a man, and he was doing good most mornings to roll out of bed, pour his coffee that someone else brewed, and sit, SIT, at his computer for 8 hours in a quiet and clean house, knowing dinner would happen through no effort of his own.  And not only that, but I would continue working at home after my work day.  How else were we gonna have clean clothes?  Mark NEVER did laundry.
If someone has the audacity to tell me I am too old to do my job I will laugh in their face and keep going.  Is that the difference between men and women in the workplace?  Men get to check out after 65?  Women keep going.  We live longer, why not.
I'm tired of being asked when I'm going to retire.  Do not let this head of silver hair fool you - I am capable.  I'll let you know when I'm ready and meanwhile, you can continue being impressed by me.
Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment