Saturday, September 23, 2023

Snail mail

As  POA for Mom, I've had to rely on my stash of legal size envelopes, stamps, and return address labels a few times.  That is in addition to having to fax things. The world runs on paper even still.  Don't believe me?  You will if you are ever in my situation...  Fax machines are still in use, as well as paper, real ink signatures, and postage.


I ran out of legal size envelopes, so I added them to my grocery list.  Previous to that, I was using just regular ole' envelopes, mostly to stay in touch with Mom.  We have been "faithful correspondents" for years since before I went away to college.  My handwriting was so sloppy that I started typing the letters - I was a busy mom of four, ya know.  I knew that she was delighted to receive them - she told me that it was the first thing she opened when she found one in the mail.  I wanted her to be able to read them with ease.  First 16 pt, then 15 pt.  Short and sweet - one page long.  They were my opportunity to tell her all of the things that she had so little patience to listen to on the phone.  And that was OK with me, as I knew she felt isolated and wanted to share what was going on in her life.  Truth be told, I wanted to hear it.  Even though she said I told her otherwise, I never did.


Looking at the plastic bin under my desk is hard.  I have no one else to write.  Mother may have misunderstood a thing or two that I wrote to her, and she often "quoted" me incorrectly, but writing her a letter, at least once every week or two, kept me grounded and connected to her.  At some point, I will collect all of those letters, that I am sure she never threw away, and add them to the collection of the letters she wrote to me in response.  They span years and years as a diary of our life together as mother and daughter.


2 comments:

  1. This may sound crazy, but there's another awesome blogger I know who still appreciates letter mail correspondence. Perhaps you and he could write. https://sporeflections.wordpress.com

    (I deleted my previous comment as it had a typo I couldn't stand!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Gina. This is Kathleen from Four Miles North of Nowhere. I've been reading your blog and have made it this far back. I am SO sorry for the losses you have had, and the responsibilities. Though I was meaning to go back and comment on some posts, I couldn't pass this one.

    It struck a chord as I've been through it with my mother. And my mother-in-law (also born in 1930) went on hospice recently. M-I-L is the person I have been in correspondence with for many years, and this post brought tears, as I know I will miss that soon.

    Just wanted to send you a virtual hug. I'm so glad you have visited my blog and commented, and so glad I found yours in response. I live just north of San Antonio. Take care of yourself. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete