Thursday, June 11, 2020

Over it

We stopped at HEB in Burnet last weekend for a new propane tank, and as I sat in the truck waiting for Hubby, I realized I never ranted and raved in a post about how much I hate grocery shopping during this whole pandemic.  I know that no one does, and I hate to put a lot of negativity out into the universe.  But the contrast between how people behave in Burnet stores versus Austin stores is real.  Bottom line:  people in Austin were over the top scared of the outside world and each other, and in light of how dysfunctional our society seems at the moment, it says a lot about how Austinites see themselves and each other.  I'm not in the camp that sees Covid-19 as a one-off.  Science says it will mutate.  It will reoccur.  Viruses have been with us forever and will continue to be.  We cannot hide from them in our homes forever.
It's called Life on This Planet.


I work in healthcare, which makes me no expert, but I feel like people are losing their marbles over it.  Is is a blanket statement to say that people in Burnet don't treat each other as pariahs?  Because they don't.  That people here are still making friendly conversation?  That they are generally happy to see you and your dollars, helping their business stay afloat?  That folks seems to drive friendlier, check you and your groceries out friendlier, and in general, just behave friendlier?  I think it will be hard, once this pandemic has eased, to go back to business as usual for Austin.  I feel very over living here, and that makes me feel sad as I chose to be here and raise a family.  Now I am looking forward to leaving this place and being somewhere with a totally different vibe.
My advice, as always, is:  stay home if your'e sick, wash your hands often, and cover your coughs.
With, or without, a global pandemic.  And try not to panic.


Gina
  

2 comments:

  1. Pandemic advice is good advice ALL the time. I don't want sick people coughing around me or breathing on me EVER! Washing hands? Well, yeah! Everyone should have been doing this all along. As for me, I've been having groceries delivered and enjoy it way more than I probably should. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not in the health field, I have no expertise, but I 100% agree with your opinion. I have a dear friend in the health field, but she won't go ANYWHERE except work. I'm so sad people are arguing over having church services even! I hope and pray this virus/pandemic runs its course and we get an effective vaccine, but seriously I am not going to continue hiding in my house and isolating myself from the world.

    ReplyDelete