Wednesday, July 12, 2023

If it ain't broke, I fixed it

Lately I think "if it ain't broke, I fixed it"*.
I have hired someone to take care of some things {the sprinkler system, the alarm system, mower maintenance, tree trimming, repair of the backyard faucet, repair of a water pipe at Highlands}.  But I have also been the one doing the fixing {hung a bamboo shade, cleaned and purged the garage and closets, cleaned the A/C compressor, re-caulked my tub, mow and edge the yards regularly, cleaned and resealed the deck, refinished the kitchen cabinets}.

my humble abode

Last week I used my new sander to smooth out the door frame so the front door would stop sticking.  I also replaced the door sweep, as well as painted,  the back door.  Sometimes as I am doing these things, I think "well, this isn't working out to be perfect", but what is?
(I also sing a little ditty to myself called "you will not defeat me" in an operatic voice)
  Even Mark had a learning curve.  I can imagine him fixing something for the first time, doing his best and knowing that a done something was better than a perfect nothing.  Sure, there was cussing sometimes, same as me.  I also imagine him cheering me on, urging me not to give up.  I'm learning a lot about things I never thought I would need to.  And I hope he would be proud of me.




*Grayson's version is "if it ain't broke, don't break it"

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed with your accomplishments and your DIYs. Anything larger than a sewing machine or a glue gun completely intimidates me.

    ReplyDelete