Saturday, October 28, 2023

Things I love about my job

What a difference a year makes!
A year ago, I was miserable at my job, and I had been for at least a couple of years.

One of the rooms I spend a large portion of my weekends in!

Mark knew it, too.  So we devised a plan.
The plan was to learn a new modality (CT), wait until the new hospital opened, then commute from Burnet to Austin for a part-time position there.  You know what they say about the best laid plans; one calamity after another happened.  But I did eventually make it to the new place.  And I have to say, though it has taken me a few months to settle in to the routine of my new shift, I couldn't be happier that I made the move.


For starters:  I'm not overworked and overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work.  I'm not on my feet all day, sometimes going without lunch, being sent to challenging situations, running all over a huge Level I trauma hospital for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  Although I work three 12 hour shifts per week, I have plenty of time to sit, regroup, recharge. And I don't go without breaks. I don't have a narcissistic boss who hates women, discourages upward mobility, and discounts every rational suggestion or reasonable idea.  My boss buys us snacks and sits and talks to us in the workroom. Communication could be better, but suggestions and input are welcome. I don't work with people who call out, slack off, or bring their personal drama to work making a challenging day harder for everyone else. I genuinely like my co-workers and we are all happy to be there - many of transferred from the bigger hospital.  The equipment is new, not perfect, but I'm proficient on it.  After 6 months, I know my way around the hospital and most of the employees I come in contact with.  There is plenty of parking at street level, a Keurig in every breakroom, music on Pandora in the workroom, and I earn more money than I ever have.
Most importantly, I feel valued.
That's a lot to love about my job!


No comments:

Post a Comment