Sunday, May 26, 2024

Getting rid of things

 I feel like the whole purging and organizing things has been going on at my house for the entirety of the 2 yrs, 9 mos and 3 days that Mark has been gone.  It couldn't begin before that because he was resistant to the idea of paring down our things in order to move to the next step.  I know that to some it may seem as though I am just willy-nilly throwing stuff out without stopping to evaluate it's worth.  For Grayson, he will see the pile of things I am getting rid of and look through them saying this might be worth something or you should keep this, you might want it someday.  But I feel certain that I am on the right path for me, managing my possessions and responsibilities.  After all, I am not operating a storage unit over here.  And a lot of these things have no family history for me.


Some of them may have value to someone.  But the value of an object is subjective only.  For each thing I think:  Can I use it? Does it have sentiment for me? If not, is it going to be worth it to store and maintain and remember where it is?  I have no wish to keep obsolete items from the past that have no use in the present.  Getting my home in order makes me feel more in control of the space I am now 100% responsible for.   It gives me peaceful and calm feelings to see order instead of chaos.  And managing my home and possessions helps me to focus on other things in life which are not even necessarily things.  So by extension, it helps me manage my grief as well.
I think I am on the right track, and I have really gotten so much done.  But since we are about to roll into summer, I will wrap up any organizing projects and move on to some personal and creative pursuits for awhile. 
Stayed tuned, though, because you haven't see the last of my garage!


6 comments:

  1. It does feel so good to release things, energy, feelings and see order and simplicity take their spaces. Good job! I've got a LOT of work to do on the same front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are handling your grief in a most positive and productive way. How clever is that?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great if you're able to purge. I can't because there seems to be memories with everything. I finally started last week on just moving stuff around. (Nov 30, 2021. I haven't counted the days) I've only managed to throw away a tv box he used to load the tv in to take to Fl because his room didn't have a tv and a boom box that doesn't work anymore. A bit of trash also. I'm trying to spend 15 min a day at least in that room. My excuse is I have to get a wedding robe done before June 1. You keep it up lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, the value of items are subjective and if keeping it is weighing you down it should go. You're inspiring me to get busy and cut ties with some of my own stuff...Thank you.

    ReplyDelete