Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Are you a city or country person?

I'm using writing prompts from Rustico and although I won't blog a post everyday, I will try to do it at least once a week!
******
Our retirement place is out in the country, and though I love it, I'm not one on living the rustic life.  I don't particularly like hearing the coyotes wail at night when they sound like they're on the other side of the fence.  I don't like that there is almost zero light outside to see as you figure your way to the pumphouse to go potty.  I am not a fan of snakes and scorpions.  I don't like that mice can easily take over wherever you are planning to prepare a meal - the BBQ grill, for example. I hate that my "kids" won't be coming there to spend larger chunks of time with us and that we have to give up Camp Rustown to be out there.   And I am worried about being isolated out there, just Mark and me, old and vulnerable, and alone, just the two of us. Wah.
But.
I'm excited to build and design a house that meets our tastes and needs, not just one that's conveniently big enough and in a good school district.  I look forward to us gardening.  Together.  I like that we can sit on our lawn chairs and look around at the countryside and think "this belongs to us".  I like to imagine that Mark and I will have a magical place for our grandchidren to look forward to visiting in the summer and at Christmastime.  And I know that, Mark in particular, will be happier and more relaxed when we are out here, and that will make me happy, too.



Well.  I guess that makes me a country person.  Although I do love Camp Rustown and it will be so bittersweet to leave a place where we have raised our family.



2 comments:

  1. I think I fall somewhere in between. I'm definitely not a city person...although my reference point is NYC. We're very close, however we've traveled to more low key cities and I do enjoy them. However, my real comfort zone is a small town. I may have to write on this prompt myself. How fun! And coyotes nearby?? That would be a hard no!! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Kim, I fall somewhere in between. I think my favorite place to live was in Connecticut. We were on 12 acres that seemed like the country, and yet were only 2 miles from a liquor store (SO important!), and seven miles from Yale where we were working at the time.

    ReplyDelete