Thursday, October 7, 2021

Small changes

 Had you asked me three months ago if I would be agreeable to major life changes, I probably would have said "NOT YET".  Not ready to retire.  Not ready to sell my home and move away.  Not yet ready to travel.  Or for so many other things, yet, I got pulled along into change anyway.  So, I decided I could struggle and weaken*, or I could move through it.  (notice I didn't say "get over it")  I started repeating to myself some of the things I thought I could hear Mark say if he were still here.  For example: "Expect the best, for optimism is a magnet for good luck".  In fact, I even cross-stitched that for a frame for his desk.
Anyway, back to the changes...


I get a little set in my ways.  I like the comfort of a routine and a plan.  And making major changes isn't something I am prepared to do just yet, so I think it will be awhile before I figure out what to do about my job and my house.  But there are small things I can do to "prep" myself for thinking about life another way, and making space for myself.  And silly as it sounds, the curbside thing at the grocery store is one of them.  Call it a baby step, but all of the meal planning, list-making, shopping, loading and unloading (mostly by myself) was becoming a burden.  Prior to July 23rd it was causing me a lot of stress.  So now I shop on line, pick up at curbside, unload the car, Chloe helps me unbag it all, boom we are done.  Cross grocery stress off the list with this one small change.






*He also used to say "Its a great life - if you don't weaken". 

3 comments:

  1. Really inspired by your post. Small changes is the way to go and I am going to remember Marks quote about optimism being a magnet for good luck ! Needed this today. thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, I think you have done so much in these months. One day at a time. We started doing the grocery pick ups about a year ago or so and don't know if I would go back. I feel like we save time and $$$$ by not wandering the aisles and adding more and more to the cart. I even do the curbside pick ups at Kohls and Target. Thanks for your posts, I do so enjoy them. chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have groceries delivered. My dad would have been positively repelled by the cost, but Jim used to do the grocery shopping and after I lost him, it was far too sad and stressful for me to go on my own. Occasionally, I'd tag along with my best friend, but I lost her last year, so... I have learned to forgive myself for a lot of things, and deal with things the way I see best. I love the quote about optimism.

    ReplyDelete