Thursday, February 3, 2022

The grief tunnel

In a recent conversation with the counselor, she suggested that moving through grief was like going through a tunnel.  She said a lot of the time it is dark, you don't know where you are going, but you just have to go forward.  There may be others traveling that tunnel, but they are not traveling with you - you are making this journey alone.  Some of those others will give up because it is too hard to go forwards anymore.  So they maybe just sit and don't make any progress.  They get stuck in the grief tunnel.  So now you have to decide: do you sit too, or do you keep going?
 

She said that by no means is it an easy journey, but like all journeys, it will lead to something.  You will eventually walk out of the tunnel into bright sunshine and life will be open to you, full of possibilities.  And those possibilities will be things that do not include your lost loved one, even though you held them in your heart during the journey.
What struck me the most about this is the sunshine part - knowing there will be happiness again.  My grief won't last forever because I am going to do the hard work of moving through that tunnel.


2 comments:

  1. Gina, This was a wonderful post that shares some valuable insights. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way you write/speak. I just finished reading "It's ok to not be ok" and I highly recommend it. I lost my husband 12 years ago and I can say this with certainty - It does get better.

    ReplyDelete