Monday, July 24, 2023

Touchy feelies

 And I'm not referring to this cactus:


I wouldn't try to be hugging this, myself.

I got into a bit of trouble for not sending out a message to my peeps on Father's Day.  To tell you the truth, it was a hard day for me.  I lost the man who was father to my kids aka My Loss, Too.  I had time to think about it since then, and I came to the conclusion that I should have sent them all a little something. So, just like at Christmastime*, I wrote something to each of them first thing on Sunday morning to acknowledge that it was the 2 year anniversary.  It was important to me that they didn't just suddenly realize that, later in the day.  I wanted to remind each one of them that he left a legacy of love and pride in his family and we can choose to make that the focus of our memory of him.  Now, would they have remembered the date themselves? Possibly. I didn't send it as a group text, because literally no one likes getting or responding to those.  And by mid-afternoon, two of them responded.  And that's because not everyone loves a touchy feelie note to remind them of a terrible day, and maybe they also didn't need me to suggest that this day was more than just an occasion to cry. 
I mean, if that's what they want to do, fine.  Crying can be cathartic.
But just because they don't mention that they got the message doesn't mean I won't do it again in the future.  The subject of Mark is going to come up again and again and again and again...and eventually we will smile more than we cry.  At least that is my touchy feely hope.





*No one said a thing about the touchy feely Christmas card, but oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment